Sunday, June 19, 2011

Change of Pace...

Kristen Nieves: Best Roommate and Best Friend I Could Ever Ask For ♥
I don't quite know how to go about writing about this or phrasing it, but I am dedicating this post and the remainder of my trip in Hong Kong to my dear friend, Kristen Nieves. On Saturday morning around 4:00 am (2:00 pm in Arizona), I received the news that hours earlier my roommate last year, one of my closest friends, and the most loving, incredible, and funniest girl I know was struck by a car while riding her bike. She was rushed to the hospital, and few hours later she passed away. I know she is in a better place now, she is with God in heaven making everyone up there laugh, sing, smile, and dance. Being half way across the world, it has been extremely difficult to cope with the intense and desolate pain and to really grasp the reality of the tragic situation that took one of God's greatest gifts to me and countless others.

Fab 5.
Prisila, Kristen, Me, Suzi, and Julia. We're missing Ryan Lloyd.
I can't even being to explain what an incredible person Kristen was... but the video below that my incredible friend Amber Richmond created, really captures the essence of her undeniable beauty and contagious personality. You can see why so many people love her and how the void in our hearts may never be fully mended. My deepest thoughts and concerns go out to the Nieves Family... Her beautiful, caring, and passionate parents, Eileen and Ron, her younger brothers A.J. and Timothy, and anyone who was blessed to have Kristen in their life.

As hard as the last couple days have been, I have been blessed to have an incredible support system here in China. Matt Pacheco and Melissa Montoya both knew her because we all lived with Kristen the dorms together so that has been great to share her memories with them. Also everyone I have met here has been more than incredible and such a great support system. I cant thank my friends enough: , Matt, Melissa, Elise, Alexia, Amanda, Chris, Ross, Alex, Ignacio, Mercedes Mike, Michael, Mikey, Steph, and Jocelyn. (I hope I didn't leave anyone out). And beyond that the Dream Career's staff (Bryce, Tatiana, and Maya) here have gone above and beyond and I can emphasize how much they have helped me... whether is was bringing me flowers or going with me to mass, I has been truly amazing. Nothing will make the reality of this situation lessen or go away, but the little things make the process so much easier. ♥

Also a special thank you to my parents, who have been on the phone and on skype at all hours of the day just to be there even for only a short moment. I love them and can't wait to be with them again.

One of the quotes that has helped guide me through the week was given to me by Bryce, the leader of the program... He told me, "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." I might not be at the point where I can contain the tears or the haunting sadness, but I am smiling because I am so blessed to have had Kristen in my life. She will always be a part of me and I will never forget the endless amount of memories she blessed me with. I am so happy I had taken so many pictures over the last two years of knowing her because I can look back at all the wonderful moments. Take as many pictures as possible, they are truly worth more than 1,000 words.

And in a way, if it is at all possible, to conclude this post's sadness... Kristen is all about celebration, she lived and thrived when people were around and when she could share her DIVA love and passion. So my thoughts and prayers go out her family and friends during this time of mourning and heartache... but I hope this time is also a celebration for Kristen and the beautiful and incredible life she led! I know Kristen would want me to enjoy this trip and to really embrace the opportunities here in Hong Kong. So I am making my promise to here that I will live out every moment to it's fullest and enjoy it all. I miss you so much, but Kristen Nieves... this trip is for you.

Kristen: Since I can't be in Arizona with all the people whose life you touched, and now I no longer can physically be with you... I had your name written on a grain of rice so you will always be on my heart. It's a small little thing, but it means more than words to know you are with me. I love you and miss you so much, keep being your Diva self up there, your laugh, your smile, your personality is infectious and contagious. You are the true DIVA and no one will ever compare. I love you best friend, roommie, Eunice, Kridden Krunk... L230 L♥ve.


Photo Credit: Melissa Montoya


⎯ ⎯ ⎯ ⎯ ⎯ ⎯ ⎯ ⎯ ⎯ ⎯ ⎯ ⎯ ⎯ ⎯ ⎯ ⎯ ⎯ ⎯ ⎯ ⎯ ⎯ ⎯ ⎯ ⎯

I do need to fill you in on how the trip is going other than the recent events. Last time I talked with you, I had just finished my first day of work and another great meal. But now we are really getting a feel of the city and embracing the culture, because we are beginning to adjust to all the differences and transporting from one place to another is a lot easier now. And we officially finished our first week of work. I'll break the past events down more by pictures this time instead of a lot of writing, but would be happy to explain too, just leave some comments or email me if you want to know more...

Night time in Mong Kok
Dessert in Mong Kok... It was like a combination of Gelato and Ice Cream, and it was DELICIOUS.
We went to see the Light Show at the Hong Kong Skyline... but unfortunately it was POURING that night... I still need to see it in clear weather conditions.

Dessert at Sweet Dynasty Restaurant. It is basically a tofu pudding with strawberries and they brought it out with Dry Ice in the Bowl below!

More tofu pudding, sweet syrup topping and a Dim Sum dessert with poppy seeds inside.

Night out on the town. We went to Sky Bar/Azure and Liquid. Great friends, great times.
First Hong Kong Tour!!!
Temple Street Night Market, Jumbo Floating Restaurant, and Victoria's Peak!

Walking through The Night Market, and you can see some interesting food... enjoy ;)

The girls on the Jumbo boat for dinner!!!
Our hilarious, yet adorable tour guide!
Dinner at JUMBO! This giant, floating, yet stationary boat.


Video of the Hong Kong Skyline.

Magical view of the Skyline from Victoria's Peak! Unbelievable, my camera doesn't do this justice.

For Kristen ♥ Rest In Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment