Friday, June 3, 2011

It's starting to sink in...

As I begin to pack and plan for the impending trip, it is finally starting to settle in that I will be at the LAX airport five days from now getting ready to board my flight to Hong Kong. Thinking about this trip has helped me realize what a true T-loc (Tucson local) I am... The longest I have ever been away from my hometown for a single period of time is three weeks. And those three weeks were spent in Wisconsin will all of my wonderful family and friends. But, it was familiar and comfortable. Plus I have never "actually" been out of the United States... Technically I can't count a quick trip to Mexico when I was 10 that ended abruptly when I was offered a switch blade and I can't count the drive to Canada where our family spent a total of 4 hours going through customs and only 20 minutes in Canada. I did use my passport once, however, I went with my mom and family to the Bahamas and stayed at a nice resort the whole time... so not REALLY a cultural experience.

Nonetheless, in 5 days I will be heading out on the first big journey of my life. First 14 hour flight (alone). First time away from my family, friends, and comfortable hometown for nine weeks. First time outside North America. First time being a foreigner. First time knowing close to nothing about their language, culture, or lifestyle. First time working abroad. First time living with a completely random roommate. First time it will be hard to quickly communicated with my family. First time where my only commitments are to my internship and the experience. These firsts could go on forever....

I am truly blessed and fortunate to have this experience and I have promised myself not to take it lightly or for granted. I want to spend every moment soaking up the culture, being immersed in the unfamiliar, and learning so much about the Hong Kong way-of-life and also more about myself.

Thank you to all of you who are actually reading this (I mean I could be talking to myself and that's fine), I hope to keep you posted on everything I discover and experience. For those of you who are worried about me and my safety (mhmm my mom and dad)... I promise I will be safe and use all the tools you guided me with while growing up. I LOVE YOU ALL.

I hope you're having an incredible summer! Please...
Sleep in too late. Have too much fun. Relax too often. Laugh too hard. Smile too wide. & LOVE too many... Life goes too fast.

1 comment:

  1. Lots of first but you will come back a complete different person. I've been there, done that. Looking forward to read your stories on your blog. I added your blog as a Favorite so I'll be checking it out and reading about your experiences. (Dieter Van Acker)

    ReplyDelete